Building Awareness and Interpersonal Effectiveness in Multicultural Environments – Sessions 1, 2, and 3 will introduce participants to conceptual frameworks for intercultural competence and the business case for a diverse workplace. Participants will complete self-assessments to measure their own intercultural development, and explore the competencies required to work effectively across difference, including differences in perspectives, beliefs, values and practices originating in cultures, religions, generations, ethnic groups, and other areas.
Navigating Diversity in the Workplace – Sessions 4 through 7 will focus on cultural differences that impact the workplace, and how individuals can be catalysts for a positive organizational climate. In each of these sessions, we will explore characteristics of high performing multicultural teams and organizations, and provide participants with an understanding of individual skills as well as organizational practices that facilitate inclusive and collaborative relationships.
- Session 4 will utilize a cross-cultural problem solving simulation to enable
participants to better understand the influence of culture on attitudes and
behavior and how to improve intercultural communication skills.
- In session 5, we will explore differences in conflict styles across cultures, and how to best leverage the many approaches we might take to conflict.
- Session 6 will focus on systems that impact power and privilege in our society, including discussion of socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious diversity, multi-generational workplaces, and LGBT perspectives.
- Sessions 7 will provide participants with an understanding of the regulatory issues surrounding discriminatory practices of “protected groups” as well as best practices from the Human Resources field for inclusive workplace policies.
- All of these sessions will utilize case studies and diversity scenarios to provide
participants with opportunities to practice skills and decision-making in addressing
diversity dilemmas in the workplace.
Cultivating a Culture of Inclusion – Session 8 in the program will provide participants with knowledge of organizational approaches to diversity and inclusion. Practitioners with responsibility for diversity management in their organizations will share best practices and lessons learned for diversity initiatives, assessment, and accountability.